Thursday, April 2, 2009

I have been through WAY too much for these pearly whites.

So, the other day I realized I hadn’t blogged in a while. This morning, while lying in the dentist’s chair, I thought about all these things at the dentist. So, that’s what I shall talk about. First off, dentists and their hygienists usually tell me I have nice teeth. I didn’t whiten my teeth this fall like I have the past two years and there was some plaque buildup I don’t normally have- I believe from those five days or so where I couldn’t brush my teeth after getting my wisdom tooth out. But, so, I was rather taken aback when the dental hygienist asked if I was a smoker. I replied, no. Then she asked if I drink a lot of pop or coffee, and I was like, not much… Then she proceeds to tell me that she’s going to use this high powered water device that most people really like, over using the tools to get plaque off, because it’s faster and will help get those stains off. What stains?! The water tool made a high pitched whiney sound and frankly, I prefer the tools, which she still used for a bit anyway. After having braces twice, and with Dr. Wrench, I much prefer being able to FEEL someone get my teeth clean than for them to poke around in my mouth for a half hour and have me feel nothing. It’s not like I like pain, I had enough of that from the braces, but I don’t care if people work with my teeth and I want to know they’re doing their job. Now, keep in mind that I chose this Dentist office because it was listed on our insurance’s website and it had a nice family friendly add in the yellow pages. Walking in, it smelled like an old house. Not to be rude, but if your house has that stereotypical layering of old smells, do something about it. I will judge you. But, the people were nice enough. I warmed up to the hygienist after she stopped chatting about my supposed stains and we moved on to the subject of braces. I also enlightened her on what interior design really was. She thought it was another 4 year degree for picking out furnishings and colors and she actually asked if we were the ones who painted and such. I let her know what we really do, and she was taken aback and said, that, yes, it sounds closer to architecture. Anyways, the point I was trying to get to was the dentist, Mr. Serious Nose Hair. He sits down and asks the hygienist what’s going on here, and she, confused, asks what he means, and he replies, aren’t we doing an LOE? Now, I don’t know what that is, but I’m fairly certain I don’t want one if I don’t need one, but fortunately the hygienist said no, and he realized he misread it on my chart. First impression: wonderful, this man can’t even read right. He attempted to chatter with me a bit, but really, just seemed slow. His exam of my teeth was the quickest EVER. I’m glad my insurance paid for a one minute exam that cost as much as my half hour cleaning. But, so, the fellow seems a bit doddering, and really, had nostrils packed full of white hair. Seriously disturbing. I felt like I had to cater my answers to him, and then I felt bad for the hygienist- does she have to talk to him like that all the time? Despite this, I made an appointment to come back in October. I figured getting 2 more cleanings there wouldn’t kill me, and then I’ll be moving far from Mount Pleasant, good god hopefully, and will find another dentist. I was so used to the one back home and the own in IF was so nice and happy, that it was just a strange experience. My teeth, however, look satisfactory, and they did give me a high quality toothbrush- score! Well, I’m sure that’s all of my dentist ramblings anyone can handle, so ttfn.

No comments:

Post a Comment